Web Development Skills
I have many public examples of my work and contributions listed on the Projects page and social coding sites like GitHub and Gitlab.
- Python: Five years of experience using Python with WSGI and web frameworks like Django (including Oscar Commerce, Mezzanine) and Flask
PHP: Ten years of experience writing custom
PHP applications, including:
- A framework to support a site with thousands of pages and dozens of related but independent layouts
- Integrating external systems and data sources, some without APIs
- SQL: Twelve years of experience writing SQL for different database variants, such as (in order of familiarity): MySQL/MariaDB, Microsoft SQL Server, Postgres, and SQLite
- HTML: Twenty years of using the latest HTML techniques to create usable, accessible, fast and light pages. Very familiar with responsive/progressive design techniques
- CSS: Twenty years of experience writing CSS in a modular, reusable fashion, with performance and speed as priorities
I have years of experience running my own servers and managing networks, including the following:
- Server Software: Nginx, MariaDB and MySQL, Postgres, Postfix, Dovecot, SpamAssassin, SQLite, UWSGI
- Linux Platform: Primarily Debian and Ubuntu systems
- Configuration Management: Experience automating and deploying servers across different cloud providers with Ansible
The majority of my consulting has been web design and development, from simple static sites to full e-commerce solutions, for which I provide hosting and email services.
I have also provided general technical support for businesses like Sea Ranch Vacation Rentals and Capital North Advisors, working directly with users.
Instructor: Arena Tech Center, 2014-2016
Instructors assisted visitors (from children to seniors) in utilizing technology; computers, printers, software, and a recording studio with mixing board.
IT Manager/Network Administrator: Garcia River Casino, 2014-2016
The Garcia River Casino has six separate networks that must be isolated, yet need to share common resources – all of which is audited annually.
I was also responsible for the restaurant point-of-sale system, Sage accounting, and the casino management system. I managed desktop computers, point-of-sale terminals, and taught myself to administer the VoIP phone system.
Web/Intranet Developer: Warren County, NY, 2004-2014
I was able to foster Warren County’s growth from a dozen-paged website to having several thousand documents and most departments represented on-line. Working with civil servants, politicians and community members, I made information and forms available that were previously only manually available.
After moving to California, I stayed on as a remote consultant with the County for more than a year until they were able to find a suitable replacement.